Parts of the Whole

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I ams what I ams

Let's face it: Betty Crocker I am not. I'm not even close to being on the same kitchen plane as my Maternal Unit (who coincidentally, won a Betty Crocker Homemaker award when she was in high school; this apple fell so far from the tree we're not even the same fruit any more).

However, I don't pretend to be some culinary genius or crafty great. My creative juices flow as far as writing down a few clever phrases here, adding a half edited picture and calling it a blog. I wish I had the aptitude to spend hours in the kitchen, perfecting recipes and then putting them on display for all the world to see; after all, I certainly had the time when I was unemployed. I just don't have the desire to force myself to be in a four foot by two foot space without monetary reward.

There would, I suppose, be the pride in having other people make my recipes. The flip side of that would be the worry of ramifications if I mistyped "T" instead of "t" and someone put 2 tablespoons of yeast in their bread, which caused it to overflow in their bread machine, which let to a short in the electrical system, which shut down the fridge, which caused the milk to go bad (anyone else seen this commercial? with the laptop and the power goes out and zombies. Makes me throw up a little in my mouth every time)...I just don't think I could live with the guilt of knowing that one of my recipes caused the Zombie apocalypse.

So I spend hours pouring over Allrecipes.com and actual cookbooks and food bloggers blogs to find things to make that Husband will eat. Every week there's a menu and I'm sound in the knowledge that none of it will give me a desire to eat Husband's brains. The desire to kick him when he leaves his wet work jackets on my kitchen table, well that's another story.

My first foray into DIY food-the Cheese Turkeyburger

So, are you a completely gourmet cook, indulging your family in your every culinary whim? Or do you rely heavily on takeout menus and food that comes in reheatable Styrofoam containers? Or does your kitchen prowess lay somewhere in between?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!