Parts of the Whole

Friday, November 4, 2011

Food Friday

I thought I'd have a nice quiet week with Husband away, having a much needed visit with family. I thought COMPLETELY wrong. Between my first two days at my second job and some schedule rearranging with the other, I am pooped. On my days off, I cursed that I did not make my third wish from the genie something useful, like cleaning fairies (instead I asked for the answer to world peace and was presented with whip cream flavored vodka). I've made the apartment sparkle but now I'm afraid to do something to mess it up.

Needless to say, my food choices this week were pretty slim, especially after I ran out of milk at the beginning of the week. What I did make, however, was a tribute to my ingenious nature. Using only what I had on hand, I managed to not somewhat starve.

Monday: Biscuits and Gravy (I used the recipe off the back of the box for the biscuits and this same recipe for the gravy)
Just run a pizza cutter thru these and call it good.

Who would've thought I used powdered milk?
Wednesday: Single Mac and Cheese

I suppose, if you really wanted to, this could be a side dish for two. But I don't recommend sharing.

Single Mac and Cheese
(original recipe by the UDG)
Ingredients:
1 cup elbow macaroni
1 tsp salt
1 Tbl butter
1 Tbl flour
1/2 can evaporated milk
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
(note: start w/ 1/2 a can of evaporated milk, but feel free to add more to achieve desired level of cheesy goodness)
Directions:
Cook macaroni in water with salt according to package directions. When al dente (firm w/o breaking a tooth, squishy w/o dissolving in your mouth), drain. Before returning macaroni to pan, melt butter over medium heat. Once completely melted, stir in flour until smooth. Add milk and stir until it begins to thicken, then add cheese. Stir until cheese has melted, then add macaroni. 
(note: this would be really good with some sauteed onions and garlic)
 Thursday: Cheese pizza (Made with my new fave crust recipe and homemade pizza sauce)
Hello little dough ball, all doughy and soft.

Sauce meet dough; dough, sauce.

I always pre-bake crusts. Helps it to stay firm when you put the sauce on.

Just needed some garlic butter on the crust.

Why yes, it was as good as it looks, thank you for asking.
Make sure you check out the What's Cooking page for this weeks recipes. And tell me, what was the easiest thing you made this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!