Parts of the Whole

Friday, October 28, 2011

Food Friday

What a week. I'm officially working the midnight shift at my new job and while I really think it's great (lots of me time, just me and the 8 gajillion towels I fold), it's at midnight and my body is questioning my self respect. I have a couple nights off now and when I tried to go to sleep last night, I couldn't. Here I was, able to sleep at the same time as Husband for the first time in days and I couldn't stop thinking about the towels I needed to fold...here. Ugh.

Needless to say, meals this week have been take what you can get. Husband is working out of town today, so when he gets home it will be pizza (as usual). I'm hoping to start a second day job soon, so the amount of food posted may decline, but I'm hoping that the quality will go up (because you know I've been giving you substandard food posts, right). So here is what we ate this week, kind of.

Bread that's supposed to taste like the cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster. Needs some work.

Italian dressing marinated chicken, slathered w/ mayo and coated w/ bread crumbs.

Served with cheddar mashed potatoes and leftover cheddar cheese bread. Oh and corn.

Cheddar cheese mashed potatoes, one of the most essential comfort foods of all time.

So how was your week? Pretty typical? Or so out of the ordinary you wondered if you stepped into the twilight zone.

SUNDAY-Cheese Bread Like Red Lobster's
Please click the link to see the recipe.

 THURSDAY-Marinated Bread Chicken
(original recipe posted by ???
adapted by the UDG)
Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1 tablespoon dry parsley
1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 bottle Kraft Italian dressing/marinade 
(note: you can try another brand of dressing but you won't like the way it tastes, I promise)
Directions:
Place the chicken in a dish with the entire bottle of dressing (if you have two 9x13 pans, one you can marinate in and one to bake in, that would work perfect for this). Let marinate for at least an hour, overnight is preferred, turning the chicken half way thru.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 pan non-stick cooking spray. Mix bread crumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning and seasoning salt together.
(note: obviously if you have seasoned bread crumbs already, you can use them; I prefer to spruce up plain ones so I can control the amount of flavor)
Coat chicken in mayo and then roll in bread crumb mixture. Place in pan and bake for 30 minutes or until bread crumbs no longer look dry.
(note: the mayo helps keep the chicken juicy and the marinade lends great flavor)
Cheesey Mashed Potatoes  
(original recipe posted by???
adapted by the UDG)
Ingredients:
4 medium sized potatoes

1 1/2 teaspoons salt
 1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup shredded Extra Sharp cheddar cheese
Directions:
Peel and cube potatoes and put them in pot with salt and garlic. Fill with water to cover and bring to a boil. Boil until potatoes are fork tender and drain. 
Before putting the potatoes back into the pan, add butter to the pan and allow to melt as much as possible. Add potatoes and begin to beat with electric mixer. Slowly add milk until level of desired creaminess achieved. Stir in cheese and cover. Let sit for five minutes until cheese is completely melted. Stir before serving. 
(note: I don't recommend using your mixer to stir in the cheese; you'll end up with all of your cheese on the beaters in a sticky gooey mess)


**For whatever reason, I can't find the original recipes that I used. Maybe I just randomly came across a bunch of ideas and just threw them all together, I don't remember.

2 comments:

  1. For the first time, I slathered some chicken with mayo before baking it and it was soooo moist! I wish I had known that secret a long time ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you tried it! As the queen of sawdust dry chicken, I was so glad when I came across that tip.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!