Parts of the Whole

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I'll Take What I Can Get

When pondering if it was appropriate to do this post on the 10th anniversary of 9/11, I had to think that it was. You see, last night the Husband and I were honored to be a part of the wedding of The Star-crossed Lovers (background: like us, The Star-crossed Lovers have known each other since high school but up until a year and five days ago from yesterday, always missed the chance to be together. Once they did, however, it became very clear that there would never be another for either, hence yesterday's nuptials). Husband played groomsman, I played bridal b@#&%^, doing everything from making sure the bridal party had food while getting their hair and makeup done to wrangling the bridal party every time one of them tried to get away while taking pictures (the phrase "electric cattle prod" came up several times over the course of the day).

Now that I am married (two years and counting!), weddings have become a time when I ponder my own and I think about all the reasons why I ended up at the altar in front of my paternal unit with a man who's collection of Harley-Davidson t-shirts takes up more closet space than my entire wardrobe. Luckily, he gives me new reasons everyday that affirm my choice and yesterday was no exception.

Reason #1: At some point in the reception, while waiting for further orders from the bride, it donned on me that I was starving. I didn't want to leave my post, though, and after answering yet another question from someone, I turned to see Husband coming to me with a plate and a beer. Everyone was eating at that point and I figured he was just getting up to throw away what he couldn't eat (starving kids in China!!). Instead, he held out the plate to me with a burrito ("It's chicken," he said, most romantic words ever); I took a bite (I don't remember chewing it at all) and went to hand the plate back. He refused to take it back and made me eat the rest of it, allowing me to share his beer with him (in case you missed that, HE SHARED HIS BEER WITH ME. That's love).

Reason #2: Knowing I like some alone time with him at weddings, Husband disappeared for a few minutes and found a spot out in the middle of some field, where under the full moon, he and I could have a moment. It was a good moment, we'll leave it at that.

Reason #3 (the one that made me go "Awww babe"): When it was the Best Man's turn to give his speech, he mentioned that he knew the Groom kicked himself everyday for letting the Bride be the one that got away (almost). Not two seconds later, I heard Husband say, "Where have I heard that before?" and he looked at me and looked away. I know babe! I know where you've heard it! Those were the exact words Husband used when he told me that I was the one. And just like the first time I heard him say it, I was speechless. Oh and deliriously happy. He has that affect on me.

Reason #4: Which is clearly the most important-He's just so HOT!!


So tragedies, like the fatal attacks that took place September 11, 2001, happen and my heart still grieves for those who lost loved ones, who will never get to hear the sound of their voices or the reassuring breathing you hear in the middle of the night. To The Star-crossed Lovers in my life, may your life together never know pain and suffering, but if it does, I pray that you'll be able to face it together with determination and the oh-so-important love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!