Parts of the Whole

Monday, September 6, 2010

Meatless Monday

Husband is extremely picky. Won't eat potato salad, can't have chunky tomatoes in anything, puts ketchup on chicken no matter how I make it. He does, however, like mushrooms, which is weird, but useful. I don't actually cook much with mushrooms; in fact, I can't remember the last thing I actually put mushrooms in. I think it was in May.

Anywho, one of the very first recipes I made when we were married a year ago (moment of silence as I sit in shock and awe that we've been married a year) was a portobello penne pasta casserole. I had always heard that portobello mushrooms were "meaty" mushrooms but I think you actually have to taste them to understand what that means. They hold up well under the sauteeing and the baking and don't really have that nasty mushroom taste that some do (i.e. the mushrooms on pizzas). We had this casserole again for dinner tonight as I had the day off and this meal does take a little bit of prep work (which went much smoother than it did last year, believe me). Topped it off with a salad drizzled with homemade Italian dressing and freshly baked bread. My eyes have rolled back in my head and my stomach couldn't be more full. Totally satisfied my carnivorous husband and myself (next time, though, I'll be using less spinach or leave it out all together; Husband and I both had little green hills on our plates). Did manage to get some pictures too. Sort of.




Anyone want a loaf of bread??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!