Parts of the Whole

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

It Takes A Village

Truth: I am so glad January is over. If that month had one more day, i was going to have a full blown anxiety attack.

In order to get February kicked off right, I decided to take a ginormous step out of my comfort zone. After being encouraged by countless mommy friends to find out if my teeny tiny town has a Mothers of Preschoolers or MOPS group, I did. And it is not teeny, tiny.

There were probably forty to fifty mommies, mommies to be and mommy role models. Where did all these women my age with kids come from? Turns out, I even kind of sort of knew one of them because her husband works with Husband. For someone who is an extroverted introvert, I fully anticipated going in and being friendly if approached but was okay with mainly being ignored. Not the case. I was greeted warmly by a woman with a darling two month old strapped to her chest (Boba wrap for the win). She got Monkey and I name tags and assigned us to a table where again I was welcomed. The table leader had a personality as bright as her awesome fluorescent pink shirt. She showed me where the nursery was and here is where I bust out the Proud Mom t-shirt. Monkey walked in, let me put him down and just started toddling around while the four other kids were crying their eyes out. One of the volunteers handed him a toy and I was completely forgotten about. I left crossing my fingers that he would play nicely (and so would the other moms).

It was exactly what my soul needed. I have a great internet support group of women, some of whom I consider my best friends. However, there's something about sitting across from someone telling them about your son's obsession with books and having them nod along in solidarity. They get it. They've been there. They can still quote Little Blue Truck line by line. One mom even gave me her number and was like hey my kids are a little older but let's get together and have a play date. I don't care if your kids have their own kids, yes! Please be my friend. Please help me prove that I'm not as pathetic as I think I am when I realize I don't know anyone in a town I've lived in for three years.

This was an experience I can't wait to repeat. Every first and third Wednesday from 9:15 to 11:15,you will find me in at Faith Baptist Church. I'm looking forward to being a part of this group and maybe someday giving a new mom my own number and saying hey let's get together.

PS If you're interested in finding a MOPS group near you or maybe starting your own chapter, start at MOPS.org.

Girlfriends together
Back when I had friends. And a waist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!