Parts of the Whole

Thursday, January 8, 2015

*Food Friday* Husband Friendly Burritos! Ole!

Those of you who have been reading this blog for any length of time know that it is a rare occasion where Husband takes a second helping of something. Like million dollar in plain view on eccentric grandma's coffee table book rare. And yet when I was trying to figure out a way to use up an excess of couscous sitting in my fridge with burrito sized tortillas, I apparently hit it out of the park with this recipe. Even Monkey had seconds (and will actually have thirds tomorrow at daycare).

Feel free to substitute ground beef for ground turkey. I'm a budget conscience grocery shopper so I regularly interchange the two. Keep in mind that when you're using ground turkey, you really want to over season the meat. It's rather bland without the extra BAM!

This was also the first time I didn't hear Husband whine about my use of rice in my burrito/taco/enchilada filling. I'm half Puerto Rican; I grew up eating A LOT of rice. It's like pasta to Italians or bread to Germans. It didn't even cross my mind that Husband might not potentially like rice. Who doesn't like rice? I mean, it's just rice; it's like tofu and takes on whatever flavor you throw on it. But he doesn't like rice and I don't like picky eaters, so I get an earful at least every other week when rice makes it's way on to the menu. This time, I didn't hear a peep about the couscous. Makes me wonder what else I could get away with. Quinoa perhaps? Make some cauliflower? The possibilities are (kinda sorta) endless!



Husband Friendly Burritos
1lb ground turkey
1 cup frozen chopped spinach
1 can low fat refried black beans
1 cup cooked couscous
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 burrito sized tortillas
1 8oz package shredded cheddar cheese
Seasoning salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
cumin (to taste)
Sour Cream

Brown ground turkey in medium pan over medium heat. Add frozen spinach while browning. Season generously. Add garlic when meat is almost completely down cooking. When everything is completely cooked through, add refried beans. Stir in until hot. Add couscous. Heat through. Place meat mixture in tortilla, top with cheese and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!