Parts of the Whole

Friday, April 6, 2012

**Food Friday** Whole Grain Chicken Noodle Soup

My first foray into domesticity was making my own chicken stock. I do it at least once a month using the leftovers from a rotisserie chicken that I've torn apart. It's the one things that makes me feel like, yes I can do this. What better way to use said chicken stock (and any leftover chicken) than to make some good ol' fashioned chicken noodle soup? And...drum roll please...it's my own recipe! Well I guess it is; it's pretty standard, but hey it's mine!

WHOLE GRAIN CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1/3 box of Barilla 100% Whole Grain Penne
3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
4 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbl fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Bring broth and water to boil with veggies and garlic. Turn heat to low and simmer for ten minutes or until veggies are tender. Add chicken and parsley; heat thru. Add pasta and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until pasta is at desired doneness.
 
I love the penne (have been trying to work more whole grains in and as long as Husband doesn't complain, which he didn't because I'm not sure he even pays attention to what he puts in his mouth, I'll carry on) in this soup and it made up enough that I can take some to work and put some in the freezer to eat after a run in the rain (which so far, in the five weeks since I've started running again has been all of them). Maybe I'll eat some after my nap.

What's your favorite thing to use chicken broth in?

10 comments:

  1. Love making chicken soup! Never use that stuff from a can any more. Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks very tasty! My husband loves making soup. Consequently, I have never made it before. I think I am going to have to attempt it - maybe I could surprise him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite chicken broth recipe is a Thai Rice dish that has half veggies. My husband loves it and freezes portions for use between batches. Thanks for the soup recipe. Enjoy your SITS Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy SITS day! Keep on cooking - use the stock for all kinds of soups or to deglaze a pan to pull together an instant gravy after you've roasted something or pan-fried it. And stock freezes really well and is often a life-saver when you see it staring at you in the freezer - surprise - dinner is just a defrost cycle away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the idea of using the whole grain penne in the soup. Funny I substitute whole grain and other types of pasta, but never thought to do that in soup before. cool idea.

    Another type of pasta worth trying (not necessarily for this recipe, but in general - if you're looking for healthier pasta) is quinoa pasta. Really good for you (super food), and less grainy than alot of the whole wheat pastas. If you try it let me know what you think...

    Thanks again for the soup idea! Oh, and happy SITS day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks good! I love chicken noodle soup! Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making chicken soup! My father-in-law even knows to lovingly pack up the turkey carcass for me after Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious. happy sits day.

    Blessings~
    Alethea

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love soup but I just wish my boys weren't so picky. They'd eat it if it just had noodles probably

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!