Parts of the Whole

Friday, April 13, 2012

**Food Friday** Easter Eats

I love to cook (duh) but sometimes I wish it was just more than Husband and myself so I could indulge in my love of big meals. Well for Easter, I got to do just that when I cooked lunch for us and the Neighbors. They are by far one of my favorite families and even let us partake in hiding and the subsequent finding of Easter eggs. It was such a beautiful day, our girls even participated (well they spent a lot of time trying to slip their head harnesses and roll in the grass).

Not only did I get to make a big meal but I also, wait for it, planned it ahead of time. I know, Husband was shocked too, and when cleanup time rolled around and it was just a matter of sticking everything in the dishwasher, I had to really ask myself, "WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE THIS BEFORE?!" So having done pretty much everything but the mashed potatoes the night before, I got to enjoy the morning sitting on the porch soaking up as much vitamin D as possible with Mandie.

I promise you, she's thrilled it's Easter.

Homemade Bread

HAM! (I remembered to get a picture this year)

Potatoes boiling away

Alfredo Cheddar Butter Mashed Potatoes...eat if you dare.
 I also made a green bean casserole sans french fried onions (horrors I know! But I don't particularly care for them and neither does my hips) but since it is such a standard dish, I didn't deem it picture worthy. That and it only lasted like two seconds.

And if you're wondering, yes I did eat some of my Alfredo Cheddar Butter Mashed Potatoes. I actually had two helpings and I'd do it again because they, my friends, are freaking spectacular.

Alfredo Cheddar Butter Mashed Potatoes
 
5lbs yukon gold potatoes
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
water
salt to taste
1 jar alfredo sauce (I used the roasted garlic Safeway brand)
8 Tbl butter
1/2 cup milk
2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar cheese

Peel and chop potatoes into 1 inch pieces and put in pot with chicken broth and enough water to cover. Add salt and bring to boil. Once boiling, turn down heat and let potatoes cook until fork tender (I actually let mine get to fork mashable but that's just my preference).
When they potatoes are soft, drain and either return to pot or put in whatever bowl you're going to use to mix them in. Add alfredo sauce, butter and milk (I put the butter in first and then the potatoes in so butter melts from their heat). Use electric mixer to beat smooth (unless you have another prefer mashing method, I'm undomestic remember, so I do not). Stir in cheese until melted. Resist urge to take pot to your bedroom and not come out until the entire thing is empty.


So what did you do for Easter??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!