Parts of the Whole

Friday, April 20, 2012

**Food Friday** Deli 101

As therapeutic as cooking is for me, I'm not ashamed to admit that I give myself a break at least twice a week (more if Husband gives me those bedroom eyes that say "Want some chinese food?" The answer is always yes). On one of these recent days off, I moseyed on down to Deli 101, which just opened and is convenietly located on...101. It's owned by my manager's boyfriend (who coincidentally taught me everything I needed to know about being the Hotel's magnificent night auditor) and his family.

**side note: I LOVE living in a small town. I grew up in a small town and had the greatest existence. There's nothing better than walking around (on actual sidewalks), chatting with shop owners who know your brothers, sisters, parents, dogs, etc. Nothing like actually living the word "community."
Deli 101 not only has meat for sale but they do sandwiches, paninis, salads and soups. Oh and desserts, but I'll get to that.


I chose the tarragon chicken on whole wheat. It's a PERFECT chicken salad (definitely ranks up there with my own) and comes with provolone, roma tomato and lettuce. I nixed the cheese and would probably again. I could only eat half and was aboslutely satisfied.

Husband had the Taby which is turkey breast, avocado, bacon, mustard, roma tomato, red onion, cheddar cheese, and mayo on sourdough. We left off the avocado and tomato, though, because Husband has no adventure in his taste buds. He ate the whole thing and commented that the mustard had a nice little kick to it.

The innards of my sandwich. Love how fresh the lettuce and tomato were.
In addition to the sandwich, you also got a small bag of tortilla chips and a PICKLE! Oh man, pickles are my secret indulgence. I mean, I don't go Snookie from Jersey Shore on them but I am not above getting up in the middle of the night to sneak one.
Now for dessert.

Oregon Joy
The word "joy" in the title of this little nugget of heaven is an understatement. Euphoria would be a better descriptor. It's a coconut macaroon with a chocolate base. I totally had a raging battle of conscience trying to keep from eating this before my dinner. I managed to hold out at two bites, so be proud. It's a little extra out of the wallet but if you're looking for a splurge, this is absolutely it.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, Deli 101 has a neat little gift shop type area that prompted me to purchase this:


Truth, right?

All in all, I will definitely be heading back (they have a grilled cheese panini with my name on it). If you're ever in our neck of the woods, make sure you drop in to Deli 101.

PS Did I mention that they give a 15% discount to active military and veterans and make a donation to USO?

PSS This is totally not a paid advertisement. If I didn't like the food, I most likely would've told you that too.

3 comments:

  1. oh yum..you are making me want that sandwich!!! isn't is great to have a familiar place you love?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am originally from a small town and I miss walking down the sidewalk and knowing pretty much everyone I would see.

    The deli sounds great! I think both of the sandwiches would make me happy but if I got the Taby I would most certainly keep on the tomatoes & avocado!! Dessert looks amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your side note about small towns - I've always wondered what that would be like instead of always living in cynicism or suspicion from growing up in big cities.

    And I miss a good sandwich and salad deli - don't have many good ones here in Dubai!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!