Parts of the Whole

Friday, December 16, 2011

Food Friday

Oh man this has to be the first Food Friday post I've done in a while that was actually done without duress. I hope it shows.

Homemade bread



I started baking bread my sophomore year of college, after I received my bread machine from Middle Child and wife. I would say it's safe to say I've made close to a hundred plus loaves of bread since and while my machine still does most of the heavy lifting, I really like to bake the loaves off in the oven. A 1 1/2 lb loaf splits into two nicely, that way I can fulfill my carb cravings and give one away.

Grilled Stuffed Burritos
I will most likely never have a deep yearning for Taco Bell (or Taco S#@! as Husband calls it) since I know how to make these now. Kelly at Semi Homemade Mom has come up with a spot on recipe that makes a TON (be prepared for leftovers). However, these were so good, Husband ate...seconds. In all actuality, he ate fourths. Any time Husband eats more than one helping, I know I'm onto something. I was ready to give up my George Foreman, but I guess it now serves a purpose.

Cook chicken boobs, cook.
Original Recipe for chicken and good ol' Pasta Roni.

 So once a week, I do a slow cooker chicken recipe, usually on the day I know that I have absolutely no time because I need to sleep. What I've started to do, is take marinade recipes, throw my frozen chicken breasts in, turn the crock pot on, set my alarm and forget about it. For this week, I slightly modified the recipe I found because 1) I didn't need to marinade 18 chickens and 2) I didn't have all the ingredients. Also, when I put four chicken breasts, frozen, in my slow cooker, they're done in four hours. A minute more and they turn into dust balls. So make sure when making any of my slow cooker recipes in your slow cooker, you adjust for that. Apparently, mine thinks it's a microwave.

Marinade For Chicken
(adapted from recipe on Allrecipes.com posted by JILLYPOOH)
Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
seasoning salt, to taste
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup Italian Dressing
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Rub chicken breasts with seasoning salt. Mix remaining ingredients together. Put in slow cooker with chicken. In a normal slow cooker, will most likely be 6-8 hours on low and 3-4 hours on high.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked the burritos. I was ready to throw out the George also, that's what made me think up a recipe for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Husband is completely grateful for the recipe and I'm grateful that I don't feel like I wasted $30 bucks on the stupid grill.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!