Parts of the Whole

Friday, January 2, 2015

*Food Friday* Cluck Cluck Chicken

I miss living in the same city as a Costco. I miss everything about Costco. The samples. The copious quantities of items. The liters of alcohol. Mainly, though, I miss the cheap rotisserie chickens. The big juicy rotisserie chickens. Who knew that the ocean would drive the cost up three dollars and drive the size down? It's pretty much a conspiracy to get you to eat more seafood. Conspiracy I tell you.

It's pretty easy for me to sit here and extol the virtues of the rotisserie chicken. Fully cooked and ready to go, what isn't there to love about them? A meal in themselves, they are right up there with the fish that Jesus used to feed the five thousand in that you can usually stretch them out over the week. Chop some up add some mayo, BAM! Chicken salad. I use it in recipes to cheat. Anything that calls for cooked chicken. Call me lazy, just don't call me late for dinner.  I made this recipe as a way to get dinner on the table quickly for Monkey. And yes there's spinach again. I like to think of spinach as the tofu of the leafy green world. Plus, my baby's iron levels were way up at his one year appointment, so don't expect the spinach to be going anywhere. It's good for you! Eat it!

Chicken Baked Ziti
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 cup frozen chopped spinach
1 cup cooked chicken
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 box whole wheat penne pasta

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare penne according to package directions. Cook spinach on medium heat in a small saucepan. Once heated through, add cooked chicken and spaghetti sauce. Combine with penne pasta and cheese. Place in ungreased 9x9 glass pan. Bake for 10-15 minute or until bubbling.

It's all going to end up on the floor anyway...
Easiest way to get a toddler to eat? Cover it in sauce. And cheese. Oh man, Monkey goes bananas (see what I did there?) when the parmesan cheese container comes out. He also really loves the tube noodles for the same reasons his father loves Bugles.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPP!